Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Fifty Shades of Annoying


Alright, I’ll admit it right now. I am in the minority, I didn’t do somersaults over Fifty Shades of Grey.

I probably could come up with Fifty Reasons not to Read It, but usually one is enough. It is terrible, it has flat characters, the dialogue is deplorable, it is insulting to women everywhere. OK, that’s four reasons. Educated young women, should not speak so poorly. Five. Neither should they drop their handkerchief, flutter their eyelashes, or behave coyly because the man is devastatingly good looking, oh! and rich to boot. Six.

I was exhausted within the first few pages with the foolishness of this “modern day woman”. She bravely skipped into a situation that she knew was unhealthy and needed to make excuses for in a million ways. Her “relationship” did not encourage her to be a person in her own right, did not encourage her to make her own decision, did not encourage her to trust her instincts. This book annoyed me! I literally had to put it down several times or I would have thrown it. By the way, the sex was nothing exciting either, even if there were ropes and elevators involved.

Many a woman has been seduced by a rich man with a helicopter. Yea, right! The women I know have been drawn in by charm, good looks, idle promises, and their own poor self-esteem. Who will write a story about that?

I had been gifted the Trilogy of Fifty Shades of Grey. I struggled to finish the first, I had to finish it, I had to see if Eureka!, the character might reach an epiphany. I could not waste another moment of my life and deleted 2 and 3. Please don’t email me to tell me that the male character had been abused as a child (just a guess here, folks), didn’t know better and had reasons for his behaviour. There is no reason good enough to subject an audience to part 2 and 3.

If you live long enough, you look around and you learn a few things. A horrible childhood doesn’t give you an excuse; others have survived, thrived and continue on to make better choices. We all believe that we have reasons to behave badly, some of us refrain and just don’t use them.

Shame on you Fifty Shades of Grey. It is a dis-service to young women everywhere to believe a fantasy that doesn’t exist. Sex is only one reason to stay. Instead, allow women the courage to be strong within themselves and not put up with this kind of manipulation from anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment