Sunday, November 19, 2017

Thinking Out-of-the-Box


Your tiny school teacher to her dolls could be leading a conglomerate one day, your miniature firefighter could own a bakery that specializes in “all things chocolate”.  As LaRae Quy says in 
this article the skills required to be a creative out-of-the-box thinker are often cultivated as youngsters. 

Little people who are left to explore (and possibly fail), those not continuously rescued, might just have the possibility to expand.

But that is not to say that learning these skills cannot be done as adults. First step – be aware that we are all learning, look for the skills we admire in others and then make every effort to take them on as our own.


We are missing an opportunity if we don’t look around and adopt the best of what we see. Why not learn from someone who's done it already? I know that's how I've done my best learning.

As an only child, I was most often left to my own devices. In those days devices were not connected to wifi (did you see what I did there?), but more likely involved the box the new coffee table came in. The box which I painstakingly made into a doll house. Oh how I loved it. 

I could literally sit IN it for hours. I taped corrugated cardboard to make walls, and used fabric remnants for curtains and carpets. I had very few dolls, but do remember marching them from room to room to do their chores. My, I was bossy.

Thinking Out-of-the-Box
When my friend showed me this picture of her grandson, it made my heart leap with joy! It seems that this little guy was quite happy pretending for hours. He was comfortable on his own. And he showed his family his project with unabashed pride. 

We will not know if many decades from now, he too will remember this house-building adventure as I remember mine. But I suspect that while he was building, he took risks, that he was thinking out-of-the-box, being curious, and observing. 

His pretending will be his biggest asset whether he is a butcher, a baker or candlestick maker.Or maybe he will be a tinker, a tailor, a soldier or spy.  



No comments:

Post a Comment