Sunday, February 25, 2018

Empty Frame


My partner and I went through an exercise of hanging stuff on his office wall the other day. He didn’t want it to look too contrived, which works well for me as I do like things a little “off-centre”. It makes me yawn when I think of a  long straight line of frames, it doesn’t matter how pretty the subject material.

The wall we were filling is to document the growth of his learning. It includes a decades old degree in a seen-better-days frame, a photo of fellow recruits from a time spent with the Air Force, and more recent accomplishments and testimonials. Black frames, documents splattered with red (as if by planning) highlighting the passage of time. One this way, the other in the opposite direction. Small ones fitting among the more official parchment paper ones. Filling the wall.

And one empty frame.


We like to hang things on our walls, don’t we, it doesn’t matter who we are? From the university cheap poster variety to perhaps the numbered print and signed art as our tastes and budgets allow.

My question to you is this: What do we display in our lives and what does it say about us?

  • Do we like the minimalist look? Perhaps revolving our favourite pieces from one spot to another? Enjoying each one for a short time. Or do you just not sit still long enough to enjoy more than a few?
  • Are we likely to hang/display a sentimental photograph or drawing from a loved one? Do you do it because it was important to someone else? Does it have meaning to you? Do you think that your loved ones will keep these treasures after you’re gone?
  • Does an emerging artist catch our eye? Or do you shop at the Thrift Store on discount days? Does the satisfaction of discovering something new give you a satisfying pleasure? Or are you just whiling away your time?
  • Are you a collector? Does everything find a place in your space? Do you have a hard time knowing when to stop? Sometimes, it’s called Eclectic, sometimes it’s just Junk. Does it make you feel safe? Abundant? Why?
  • Why do certain items hold more appeal in our lives? So I ask you this, take a walk through your spaces. See it with fresh eyes. Is it time to put emphasis on the more current you, and enable you to celebrate who you are, who you’ve become?
  • Take the time to examine the old favourites which still hold their charm. How did they help you become You? Why?  

And once you have viewed your new space, leave some room for the Empty Frame. For what is to come. And keep watching in your Everyday for what you will fill it with.

What we "display" tells us who we've become. (Tweet This)

Let's never discount the value of an Empty Frame. (Tweet This) 
 

2 comments:

  1. for me, I love making stuff and wardrobe disappear from my house. I have big family, 12 of us, and it's almost always lonely without them around. Maybe it's likely the reason I let my house wide and straight with so little stuff around so I can let my family in, we will lie on our stomatch together, laughing about our bad day, how bad our parent scold us about this or that and thinking about food we want to eat next. ahh, now I feel lonely, I already miss them again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have said it beautifully! You leave space in your home to fill up with people and memories. How fortunate you are to have such connection with your family members. Hold them close and enjoy their love!

    ReplyDelete