Friday, August 23, 2019

Why Not Practice

Why Not Practice

We saw him, a middle-aged man carefully making his way down a gentle slope. Cautiously, smiling, and then doing it again.

Roller-blading. He practised a lot he said. He was still afraid of going too fast, or of falling, and that's why he did it over and over. Why Not Practice, he laughed.

The flat ground is not a problem, he told us. I've mastered it. But the slopes are still somewhat frightening. Off he went again, slowly coming downhill in a very public space. Cyclists zipped by, parents pushing strollers, and children going willy-nilly following a line that looked straight in their minds.

And he still persisted. I admired him. It's not easy being so open in our vulnerability, letting the world know that we are not perfect. (Tweet This) That we are all learning something. That we are all afraid of something.

What he showed me was that it was important to keep trying, in spite of what's going on around you. Why Not Practice.

Over and over he did it. We continued our walk and then looped again through his slope. He was making his way to the front door of his condo building. He moved a little faster, there was some confidence in his stance now.

I could be wrong but as he skated away, I believe I saw him raise his arms in a definite show of triumph.

He did it, I thought to myself.

And as we rounded the next corner I saw this boat. Y Knot. Kind of says it all, doesn't it?


Why Not Practice

What have you kept practising until you could raise your arms in triumph? (Tweet This)

Now tell me, was it worth the practise?


* in Canada practice is a noun, practise is a verb

No comments:

Post a Comment