Monday, November 4, 2019

Lessons from the Swimming Pool

Our thoughts can empower or imprison.
They empower when we try something new,
and they imprison when we let them convince us 
to stay comfortable.

Skip Prichard

The Book of Mistakes



This is a lesson from the swimming pool and also works if you have all your clothes on. It could be about trust, determination, building strength, commitment, and reaching your goal. It just depends on you.


Returning to a pool after an absence of several decades involves more than getting a new bathing suit and goggles. It brings up all your memories of being in the water. Especially about being in the deep end.



Courtesy Pixabay - StockSnap


I met a lady last week who entered the pool beside me in the Slow lane. She said that she preferred to stay along the side of the pool because she hadn't been swimming in some time.


After a few lengths, I noticed that she swam about three-quarters of the way towards the deeper end, pulled herself out on to the deck, and then walked back to the shallow end to start again.

After about thirty minutes, we each took a break to catch our breath. 

I know that it looks silly what I do, she said. But I'm not certain that I can make it the full length. I need to have something to grab onto if I have to stop. Then I go back to the safer end and do it again.

She was still in the water when I finished, climbing out each time at the same distance. 


Courtesy Pixabay - fietzfotos

I wonder what was she telling herself each time she climbed out? (Tweet This)

We have all been uncomfortable. It could happen when we walk alone into an event, start a new job, or travel alone for the first time. We are uncomfortable over and over again. As Prichard says in The Book of Mistakes, we are empowered or imprisoned by what we do with those thoughts and feelings. How often do we climb out when we are uncomfortable?




And most importantly, why are we afraid of getting to the other side? (Tweet This)

Now tell me your story of how you went further than you expected.



For you or for someone who is on the learning path:
The Book of Mistakes: 9 Secrets to Creating a Successful Future
Skip Prichard

will help guide you to the other side.


No comments:

Post a Comment