Friday, December 14, 2012

Lessons and One Love


During the 5 day work week, if you are like most people, you are engulfed by people. People that you work with, people whom you are tied to for some specific reason. Sometimes if we are fortunate, we like these people, we have a relationship of mutual support. Oftentimes, however we are joined together by a cause (work, committee, club etc) and they are not necessarily someone that we would choose to spend time with. We might even feel that it has been conspired to put us  together, to teach, and definitely to learn from each other.

 I had been involved in a volunteer opportunity for several years that I had enjoyed. Then I switched locations. It did not go as smoothly as it had in the past, because I couldn’t get past the person who volunteered beside me. What I perceived at the time as her superior attitude and strict adherence to every rule was probably at least just a tad unjustified! She made me batty. I don’t remember her name, I probably couldn’t identify her now a few years later, but I do remember how she made me feel. She made me feel wrong, small, and wanting, I did not feel complete.

Now this many years later, I wonder how many times in my life I may have inadvertently made someone else feel that way.

Here’s something from my one of my favourites, in tribute to Bob Marley. Listen and remember the lessons you might have taught someone and the lessons you've learned along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment