Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Wanting it All

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. This was not a phrase heard by many of my generation. We believed at that time in security, in company loyalty, in pensions!

The folks who chose to start their own businesses were rare, back then most people still believed in the white picket fence and marriages that lasted forever. Most did not think of Wanting it All which is far more common now.

Wanting it All, Saskatoon Berry Farm AB.

Freedom that is. Freedom and Security. The security of knowing that whether you are at your desk or vacationing at a quiet lake spot, that the money was rolling in. In Dorie Clark's Entrepreneurial You: Monetize Your Expertise, Create Multiple Income Streams, and Thrive I read about some individuals who recognized that what they wanted was not to carry around the egg basket. They wanted to choose how their lives should look not told how it should be.

This book reached me through NetGalley, I wasn't prepared for the number of zeros that the case study participants requested and earned. This was out of my realm. All I was looking for were some ideas for regular people (like me) to have a few more deposits into the checking account than withdrawals.

I was becoming intimidated through the chapters of hearing of six or seven figure incomes. I read about selling your system, connecting with influencers, podcasts, and email subscription lists in the thousands. But what this want-to-be entrepreneur needed didn't come until Chapter 12. I needed encouragement to discover the type of entrepreneur I wanted to be.



I needed to recognize that there are a number of ways to get Freedom and it doesn't necessarily need to be about Wanting it All, it just needs to be what each of us want our lives to look like.

We don't all want to constantly be on the Go, to be On, to be Connected. What we need to discover is what works for us. It might very well be a six figure income, but it could also be writing at your desk and hearing the birds chirping outside your window.

Freedom to be Your Entrepreneurial Self. (Click to Tweet)

Entrepreneurial You was worth the read, whether you are already part of this tribe or if you are still dreaming. It is filled with examples of people who have worked hard and not accepted that a momentary loss is a total failure.

Clark has also written Stand Out: How to Find Your Breakthrough Idea and Build a Following Around It  and Reinventing You: Define Your Brand, Imagine Your Future which might be more appropriate depending on where we are on your entrepreneurial journey. I have added these books to my reading list.

Discovering what Wanting it All means to you as an Entrepreneur. (Click to Tweet)

*This post contains links for products I endorse. At no cost to you, if you click and follow through I will receive a few pennies to keep me supplied in coffee while I sit here and write.


Entrepreneurial You
Dorie Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment