Sunday, September 3, 2017

Don't Lose the Spell

You don't often get to eavesdrop on a conversation when you're out on the running path. The timing has to be perfect, the wind quiet, and no other distractions taking place.

Last Sunday, I heard a fellow say "I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did." I have no context as to what he was talking about but it did get me thinking about our adult lives. How often are we truly delighted? How often do we surprise ourselves with our reaction? How often do we try new things?

A colleague of mine stopped by my space one day, her eyes were shining, her grin contagious. She had just completed a workshop which got her creative juices flowing. She was excited to put what she'd learned into practice. She was like a child! Unabashed in her joy. She en-joy-ed her experience.

I've got to go get creative, she said, before I lose the Spell. I too was drawn up in her excitement, her Spell rubbed off.

The Spell. Because that is exactly how we feel when we are high on life. When something unexpected surprises us, shocks our senses, engages us, compels us.

It is just like when we were children. The world is so full of things we don't know (yet), we are delighted constantly. (Not surprising why children love to postpone their bedtime.)

In this busy time of year, getting ourselves back to a regular routine, packing children off to their new schools, we need to remember Don't Lose the Spell. We need to keep our awareness on what excites us, hold onto happy summer memories, and look for our next delight.

Don't Lose the Spell

This gal got to be a Falconer on a recent trip to Ireland. That is a look of delight on her face. I know, I've seen it all her life! She is an expert of holding onto the Spell.

It is the joy of Being in the Moment. Look for it in your own life and hang on to it with both hands. It will carry you through the ho-hum days of a regular routine because you know that it exists.

I've thought about the runner I heard on the path over the last week. I've hoped that he too has returned to the joy that he unexpectedly experienced. I'm also certain that his joy has rubbed off on someone else.

Because that's how the Spell works.

Don't Lose the Spell that's yours. (Click to Tweet)

Hold onto what brings you joy, then repeat. (Click to Tweet)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment