Sunday, September 24, 2017

What's Our Cause?


This early fall morning when I headed out for my taper, I was unprepared for all the other walkers and runners I would meet. Somehow, with my training slowing down in preparation for a half-marathon in a couple of weeks, I foolishly thought that others would be "slowing down" too.

What a surprise! The path was full. Groups of individuals and families, some pushing strollers, all dressed in blue were winding their way through my beloved pathways.

This sea of blue were mostly smiling, the runners and walkers making their way to the Finish armed with new stories to tell. Each getting a medal to celebrate their participation.

Pixabay - Courtesy TracyJaneShaw
People ask me what got me started in partaking in half-marathons. All I know is that I've learned so many valuable lessons along the way. Being part of a group with a common goal, like any endeavour gains momentum when you are doing it in the company of the like-minded. Each day when we strive to support our "team" whether a family member, a colleague and especially a stranger, we are getting closer to being better.

Today I witnessed exuberance, and I also looked in the eyes of those who were struggling. The hills can be daunting, the flats can seem endless, the corners can bear challenges. In the distance we can hear the cheers as those ahead of us get to the Finish. Sort of...like Life. And each day we have to decide What's Our Cause?


You make peace with what isn't. (Click to Tweet)

  • you have a vision for a new business - you plan, and you take a step toward it
  • you hope for better family relationships - you take a chance at speaking from your heart
  • you want to grow older and stay fit - you try out a new yoga class to build some muscle
  • you dream of travelling to Stonehenge - you save your pennies today
  • you make peace with what isn't

A little girl I know ran her first 1km in that sea of blue today. She's little, and I wonder what went through her mind. I'm guessing that she ran because she loves to run! She and her friend shared an experience. She was part of a group. She got a medal!

 She could, so she did. (Click to Tweet)

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we faced our days with her Cause.

What would happen if we embraced a new goal and just gave it all we had?



No comments:

Post a Comment