Saturday, January 13, 2018

Sugar Blues – 6 things that made me cranky this week


*Alert* this post is not about mindfulness, it is about bitter cold in the Northern Hemisphere, returning to a  work schedule and running out of my daughter’s Christmas “Crack-le.”

This is a Sugar Blues Rant...some might say, of epic proportion. (Don't say that I didn't warn you!)

It’s January. I’m sure you’ll agree, we’re still craving the sweet stuff and the hidden away treats are quickly diminishing. This is truly bad news. That’s the excuse I’m using for what follows. (I’ll return to the usual, I promise.)




If you’re anything like me, you’re back at work, and though you thought you could not eat one, more, shortbread cookie, nanaimo bar, or piece of fudge. YOU WERE WRONG. It’s the middle of the afternoon and all you want is a treat, followed by a nap.

People tell me that this week was tough, we all agree that we need vegetables and “real” food not those delicious jalapeno jumpers that come out of a box and are ready in 12 minutes. We need our bills to magically arrive stamped PAID. Our weight scales to do a throw-back to a Thursday… one month ago.

For now, I’m letting these things go. But pay attention, will you, so that next year I don’t suffer so much. (Because we all know, that when we are cranky, it is only about ME.)

  •  Look around when you speak, which does mean, sometimes a person needs to pause. As much as you want to interrupt someone, make sure it’s worth their time to stop what they’re doing.
  •  If you think the joke you’re sharing is funny and the first five people don’t get it. Stop. Reconsider. Before telling poor soul #6 
  •  Why am I always the last one out the door. And why has someone moved my keys? Again?   Do I have too much on my plate or am I just annoying?
  •  The merge lane is for merging. Aargh! I shouldn’t need to say more.
  •  Many rules are stupid, but many rules are necessary for those who are indeed stupid. Icy intersections are not for reaching into the back seat.
  •  I do not have time to read the list of 85 books that will change my life this year. Please stop sending me your emails.

Okay, I’m done. Neil Diamond's Sweet Caroline will have to do.

I will  give up, slow down on the sweets starting now, but I can assure you that I’m still having a glass of wine tonight.




No comments:

Post a Comment