Wednesday, March 19, 2014

What’s your Catch-22?


 I can’t get into the program, because I need a portfolio. I work full time and don’t have the time to create a draw or paint.
I’ve dreamed of running a marathon, but I’m so out of shape. I don’t know how to get in shape.
I rather work in a more creative job, but I have to pay my bills. I’m decaying in my paperwork job.

Sometimes our Catch-22 is our reason (excuse) to stay in place. Let’s face it, as uncomfortable as our current situation might be, it is familiar. We know how to behave, even if it’s badly. How do we get the traction to change our situation? How do we start?

History has a nasty way of keeping us static. But you do have the ability to change your experience.

Small steps at a time…let’s go back to the examples we started with.

Piecing together a portfolio – if you really and truly want to get into the program, you will find the time. Carve out a few minutes during a lunch hour, lessen your time talking on the phone/texting/surfing the web. You can also start to research different schools, make a list of what you would include in your future portfolio, talk to people who have done the program and pick their brains.


Marathons, half marathons and getting in shape – one step at a time, literally. Park further in the parking lot at work. Buy some snazzy athletic wear that makes you feel good to put on, it will encourage you! Surround yourself with a like-minded community. Ask people who appear fit how they do it. Commit to being a more fit you. I did it, I know you can too.

Creating your creative job – we all hate paying bills, there I said it! But we can’t use our bills as our reason for spending our day doing something that doesn’t fulfill us. Join a community of creative people; writers, musicians, artists are there to be found and love to talk about their passion. Spend some time each day doing something that makes your heart sing. Doodle in your notebook, sing loudly in the car, pull out your camera and go for a walk. Even a few moments doing this on a regular basis will give you some joy while you have the security of paying your bills. Opportunities to be creative will creep into your day when you least expect it and you will no longer focus on your hum-drum day job. Allow it to happen.

Whatever your Catch-22 is take one small step away from it today. If you have been successful in getting passed your past, send a message to share. I’d love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment