Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Comparison will Make You Unhappy


Comparison will Make You Unhappy


We are each running our own race! Sometimes we put on our running shoes but most often we do it in our everyday clothes. We get up each day and do the best we can. Usually.

And when we look at our neighbour or our colleague we always have to remember that comparison to our fellow traveller will make you unhappy. There will always be someone who makes more money, lives in a bigger house and is better looking. Honestly, that is just a fact. I could tell you to stop looking around but that would be ridiculous because we all love to compare.

We do it even in our yoga class, even on a treadmill, even on the highway driving home.

If you read my words elsewhere, you will know that I have just completed my 20th half-marathon. I figure that's not too bad for someone who pulled on a pair of running shoes at passed the 55-year mark. Certainly, I've lived my life quite convinced that I am not an athlete.

And for some of you who find that number impressive, there are many others who do this kind of thing on a regular basis. It's no big deal.





Well at about the same time that my 20th medal was hung around my neck, I know someone who had just completed her 100th half-marathon. When I first heard this, just for a brief moment, I felt lacking. And then the joy of having accomplished twenty, travelled to a number of places to take part, and stayed upright and injury free (crossing my fingers here) descended on me. I had done it!

My feat did not take away from someone else's well-deserved accomplishment, their's did not take away from mine.

I snapped this photo of a race that started just before the one I mentioned. There was a story here for sure, and unbeknownst to the other participants, this couple was the last of the starters. They wore their race bibs while pushing a stroller with their dogs. Then I watched as one dog jumped out and wanted to lead and the other sat back and enjoyed the ride.

They did not snarl or appear to be unhappy with each other. They were each running their own race.

So what can we learn from this couple with their two "racing" dogs? What can we do each day to live as they appeared to?

Do our best. 
Put one foot in front of the other. 
Take time to look at the scenery. 
Know that the uphill path gives you momentum for the ride down.
Keep Smiling!

Because the Finish Line will happen sooner than you think.





2 comments:

  1. Besides the life lesson, this has given me what I needed to tackle WinterStart. Thank you Gail ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to write Ellen. I'm so glad to hear my words reached you. All the best on WinterStart, it's such a beautiful setting and sure to be fun!

    ReplyDelete