Monday, February 4, 2019

Trading in my Parking Spot for my Future (some call it Retirement)

Trading in my Parking Spot
Some months ago I arrived one day at work and found this bicycle hitched to my parking spot.

Ah, I thought, perfect for my goodbye. Oh, don't get me wrong. I have absolutely no inclination to trade in my 4 wheels for something with no protection going down hills. But somehow this bicycle sent me images of a wicker basket filled with flowers, a baguette, a bottle of wine. A winding country lane even maybe.

This bicycle spoke to me about my future.

It filled me with a sense of awe. It reminded me of how the years have flown by, how certain things have broken down, how some scenery has been fantastic and of the surprising potholes that have shown up. 

You know, those deep ruts that make you lean and hold on to the handlebars tightly. The ones that form (it seems) almost overnight. The bad habits along with the better ones. The unexpected turns in your career, in your health, the dead halt in your ambition as you take care of the necessities. How you kiss your creativity farewell and put it in your back pocket hoping that it will stay put safely...until later. (Tweet This)



And then the day arrives when you look in the mirror and say.

 Oh my goodness I've landed.

I am where I am supposed to be. This is Me. This is what I’ve created all these years. And you’re okay with it because it was of your own doing.

My children are grown, healthy, successful in their own right, and sometimes more than slightly silly. It's all a Mom can ask for. They are my greatest gifts from and to the world.

So now this is my time. People who don't know me well ask "what will you do with your time?" You can't be serious? (My brain thinks this loudly with disdain because you know that my face cannot hide my surprise at such a foolish question.)

Well let's start with... 
more writing in the mornings, 
walking when I feel the urge at any time of the day, 
yoga whenever I darn well want to, 
grabbing my camera for the new moon or the setting sun, 
a book and a coffee or two while the sun streams in, 
and the Calgary Public Library I'm sure has a quiet spot waiting for me. 
Jewelry making with the hand-me-down trinkets from friends, and with the gems I've picked up along the way. 
Maybe go back to stringing lines that form a poem or many and then hand-binding them with an embellished cover. 
And...

So yes, I am looking forward to what will happen next. 

I will take the lessons I have pieced together, the memories I have made in those comforting hallways. I will treasure the success of those who have struggled and continue to inspire me. I will hold close the truths that have been shared beside the lies that have been lived. (Tweet This)

Yes, I will weave the stories I've been told into my future.

Tell me what will you do in your retirement?





No comments:

Post a Comment