Monday, January 11, 2016

The Habit Pause


We all do them. We do them with so little thought that there is nary a pause in our motion. Sometimes they are bigger habits, bahaviours that affect our lives and those around us, some can take away our good health or ruin our relationships. These are habits that take utmost devotion, dedication and support to change.

But today, let's talk about our silly habits. The things we do everyday and today I will tell you a secret. Although I am a compulsive, conscientious clean-up-as-you-go person, my desk top is a disaster! I am, lets say, my most creative in my home office space.

At times, there may be piles of paper to be filed, shredded and "read further" in assorted piles. There are torn out articles (or food for thought, as I call them) to be pondered over and there is always a pile of colourful paperclips. And this is where this story is going...




Each time I reach for a clip, because it is totally overfull, it creates a mess. And each time, I pick up and refill. Silly, isn't it? I finally realized that all I had to do was empty out the container with a handful, (leaving behind the bright, happy ones of course because they make me smile) and putting aside the extras somewhere else. Voila! no more mess. But why did it take me so long to figure this out?

Each day we do these things without pause, and then clean up the mess. Let's stick together with this one and try something new.

So when you reach for a kitchen tool, a plastic grocery bag or take the same route to work, stop. Pause in the act of habit and it could make your life easier. Try it and let me know how it goes. What I do know is that my paperclip holder has never been so tidy as it has been this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment