Tuesday, July 5, 2016

This Morning's Walking Inspiration

I followed my usual walking route this morning and was almost home when I had the loveliest of encounters.

As I approached my last few steps, I could see an elderly woman making her way up the hill. Oh, if you drove it daily you might not think about how "uphill" it really is. But if you walk/run it often you do learn to anticipate it.

This woman was silver haired and pulling along her cloth covered cart. As she drew near, I said to her that it was quite a hike up the hill that she'd just completed. Her face broke into a smile, and she said that she did it often.

You are my inspiration, I told her. Each time I walk, I hope that I can continue for many more years.

She asked me my age. Well dear, she said, you keep doing it and you will. I am 85 years old and I am walking to the bus-stop. You see, every Tuesday I meet my friend at Walmart for coffee.

Each time I partake in a race, I see the motivation of my fellow participants. Each one walking/running for a cause, or for someone, or to prove something. This morning I saw that many walk for their future selves, to ensure that into the coming days that they will continue to hold onto who they are and what is important to them.

I realized that the elderly still choose their friends wisely. I realized hat you keep doing it because you can.

A reminder for all of us to keep making wise choices.

Who will you be walking to meet for coffee in the future? (Click to Tweet)

No comments:

Post a Comment