Thursday, November 17, 2016

Character Demise

It makes me sad to know and to tell you that the main character in my next story will be killed off.

We started off quite nicely when we first met, but then our relationship started to suffer. He just did not behave in a way that I expected, all these mysterious stories from his past kept cropping up and surprising me. I mean, really?

How could anyone have so many excuses to be a jerk, hadn’t he learned anything? He was pleasant looking, and fit and had his own cook books which he used regularly, as any good man should be able to do. But it wasn't enough to keep him around.

The past kept infringing. Strange phone calls from people named Swank and Bullet? I didn’t need this crap.

All I wanted was a simple, straightforward man in my story. Not someone that seemed to be hiding things from me. And then he had the nerve to say that I was boring, and had no imagination, and shouldn’t assume that what was presented was in fact the way it was.
Character Demise

Hey, I believe in dialogue as do all writers, but this was ridiculous. Taking flack from my character?

I believe that I've had enough.
When I was younger, I would have destroyed him into a crumpled piece of paper.

Yesterday, I could have just backspaced him out of my life.

There are so many ways to do it. Today, I think I'll just have to kill him.


What do you do when your character shocks you? (Click to Tweet)

Do you get along with your characters? (Click to Tweet)

No comments:

Post a Comment